Friday, March 19, 2010

Pause or Pull Back Time ?



Ok, so we made some more money, now what? Hold'em or fold'em? I'm in agreement with Mr. DoJo above. I'll keep it simple. The probability of another two weeks like the last two is slim and none. I hate to try to play the market timing game but after a monumental run up this is a better time to sell than buy. At best I'd guess we have a sideways zigzag trending to the downside. So if you're in an index type fund and want to be safe rather than sorry sell Monday or into the next up day.

Now this is not to say in a pull back all stocks will fall. No. Some stocks will hold ground and some will even rise. But can you tell me which ones? If you're smart enough to know which ones those are please post your picks for all to see. Since I'm not that smart I'd say if you want to hold or buy some stock now than first look at those blue chips paying fat dividends which have not enjoyed any big increases like BP, XOM, LLY, VZ, T, PFE and MO. Utilities can work here too.

The oil sector service stocks that were sizzling hot in 2009's first two quarters look sick and weak. Still if you get a chance to buy RIG or DO around $80 or below do so. Mr. Cramer says buy WFT. The natural gas index UNG declined the whole month of March. While there is good reason not to like this ETF index I'm buying at $7.45-7.50 today. This index has now been declining for two years, so I'm betting my downside risk is low. A related stock pick would be CHK.

So, I'd sum up my view as selling all big winners this month and reinvesting ( or holding)1/3 to 1/2 in the areas I've discussed.

No comments:

Post a Comment